Friday, November 6, 2009

Background & Education

Counselling is something that I have been called to do throughout my life. When the opportunity came to turn it into my career path I didn't need to ponder the point for very long. Being involved with women's and single parents groups over the years has served to hone several skills that every counsellor/healer needs: empathy, understanding, unconditional positive regard, sincerity, respect and a desire to help people help themselves.

Reiki came into my life by chance. I was required to choose a bodywork elective as part of the Langara College Holistic Health Practitioner course. The feedback from my first clients, along with my own experiences as a practitioner encouraged me and urged me on to attain the Reiki Master/Teacher Level, which has enabled me to pass on this ancient healing art to others.

I use the holistic approach to ensure that while one modality may be the primary answer to the central issue, all relevant aspects of the client's well-being are considered. Relaxing on the massage table, thereby easing mental and physical stress, can at times lead the person to talk; a tense and upset counselling client could benefit from some Reiki or massage beforehand; talking through issues could point to the client benefitting from bodywork to ease stress and anxiety. At times all three modalities can be used together to maximize the benefits to the client.
Counselling: the holistic approach ensures that the client is encouraged to look at more than just the emotional issues involved. On telling their story, many clients find that they are able to clarify their situations and are able to discover who they really are, and why, and how. My passion in counselling is with relationships, the desire to help couples enhance their togetherness, stop the rot rather than clean up the mess afterwards.

0 comments:

Blogger template 'Purple Mania' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP